Holiday decor can be dangerous for your pets

Health
christmas decorations pests_761424

CHICOPEE, Mass. (WWLP) – It’s that time of year again, when millions of Americans create their own winter wonderlands inside their homes. Some of your festive decorations, however, could be toxic for your pets!

From Christmas trees…to Christmas bells–pets aren’t used to seeing these items everyday, and they might take interest in them.

Mistletoe, poinsettias, and holly can be deadly if pets ingest them. Other decor can cause health problems.

22News spoke with a local groomer about these dangers.

“They ingest it, they cant pass it, and then they could end up with a blockage, which becomes very expensive,” Tracy Calvanese said. “Or if they were to eat a glass bulb, being cut from the inside.. perforation. “

There are still ways to fill your homes with cheer and keep your pets out of harm’s way.

If you can’t go without things like tinsel, hang it in a room your pet will not have access to. Also be sure to clean up all of your scraps after wrapping presents…and lock up any holiday treats. 

Copyright 2019 Nexstar Broadcasting, Inc. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed.

State Police Overtime Scandal

More State Police Overtime Investigation

Weather Alert Radar

Trending Stories