WEST BEND, WI (WCMH/CNN) — A man is recovering after being forced to have all of his limbs amputated when he contracted a rare blood infection that likely came from his own dog.
According to a report by FOX 6, Greg Manteufel was perfectly healthy and thought he had the flu.
“It hit him with a vengeance,” Dawn Manteufel, his wife, told the news outlet. “Just bruising all over him. Looked like somebody beat him up with a baseball bat.”
Doctors say Greg’s case is a fluke and was caused by a common bacteria found in the mouths of humans, dogs and cats called Capnocytophaga.
According to the CDC, the disease can cause infections under the right conditions, such as someone with a weakened immune system or other underlying health conditions.
Infections are often linked to dog bites or having contact with dogs.
“This infection in his blood triggered a very severe response on his body,” Dr. Silvia Munoz-Price, an infectious disease specialist, told Fox 6. “More than 99 percent of the people that have dogs will never have this issue. It’s just chance.”
The CDC says up to 74 percent of dogs have Capnocytophaga in their mouths compared to 57 percent of cats.
The family tells FOX 6 that they are focusing on what wasn’t taken away and it taking it one day at time.
The family has setup a GoFundMe page to help raise money for medical costs and prosthetic limbs.