Man hospitalized after opening bottle containing rat poison

Health
ambulance_1527119009011_43299473_ver1.0_640_360 (1)_1545557799248.jpg.jpg

(AP) — A Massachusetts man who opened an antique bottle of rat poison he thought contained whiskey was taken to the hospital after complaining of burning on his hands and throat.

Fall River Fire Capt. Neil Furtado tells The Herald News firefighters responded to a self-storage facility in the city at about 7:30 p.m. Tuesday.

The man said he had bought several bottles at auction and was told they were at least 60 years old and probably contained whiskey. The man is expected to be OK. His name wasn’t released.

Furtado says the only bottle he opened contained strychnine powder, used as rat poison.

A hazardous materials team responded and tested the other bottles, some of which contained acid.

Nothing was spilled but the storage facility was shut down for several hours.

Find 22News on TwitterFacebook, and Instagram; send your news tips to reportit@wwlp.com.

Copyright 2019 Nexstar Broadcasting, Inc. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed.

State Police Overtime Scandal

More State Police Overtime Investigation
LIVE NOW /
22News Morning Newscast

Trending Stories

Love Your Pet

More Love Your Pet