Teen landscaper badly burned by hogweed plant

Health

A teenager is recovering after being badly burned by a dangerous plant in Richmond, Virginia. 

 17-year-old Alex Childress encountered the giant hogweed plant Tuesday while working a summer landscaping job. The invasive plant contains a dangerous sap that can cause burns, blisters and even blindness. 

 Childress was taken to a nearby hospital, where he was treated and released Thursday for third-degree burns on his face and arms. 

 The Virginia Department of Conservation and Recreation says hogweed plants can grow up to 15 feet tall, and have been spotted across the state this summer. 

 Read more: http://bit.ly/2NakVNM
 

Copyright 2019 Nexstar Broadcasting, Inc. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed.

Trending Stories

Love Your Pet

More Love Your Pet