How to store combustible household products safely


EAST LONGMEADOW, Mass. (WWLP) – Here is a warning to local residents that common household products can be dangerous, if they’re not stored properly.

A fire in Boston last week started because a contractor stored oily rags in plastic trash bags after refinishing a floor.

East Longmeadow Fire Lt. Christopher Beecher told 22News some products, like linseed oil, generate heat; “Because of that, they can spontaneous combust. They’ll start to smoke and then eventually they can create a fire overtime. Your best bet is if you have a metal container to put them.”

Lt. Beecher recommends specifically using a metal ash container, which is designed to prevent fires.

A fire in Easthampton two years ago, started because combustible materials were stored under the kitchen sink.

Click Here for more information from the U.S. Fire Adminstration on how to store and throw away household chemicals.Below is a list of some flammable liquids found in homes:

  • Cooking oil
  • Cologne and perfume
  • Oil-based paint
  • Nail polish and polish remover
  • Hair sprays and other hair products containing alcohol
  • Certain cleaners containing pine oil
  • Hand sanitizers containing ethyl alcohol
  • Spray lubricants
  • Paint thinners and primers
  • Many carpet cleaners
  • Body washes containing alcohol
  • Dry-cleaning spotters and solvents for home use
  • Deck sealers and waterproofing
  • Lighter fluid
  • Charcoal starter fluid
  • Some pesticides

Copyright 2022 Nexstar Media Inc. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed.

Only on | Digital First

More Digital First

Trending Stories