EAST LONGMEADOW, Mass. (WWLP) – Here is a warning to local residents that common household products can be dangerous, if they’re not stored properly.
A fire in Boston last week started because a contractor stored oily rags in plastic trash bags after refinishing a floor.
East Longmeadow Fire Lt. Christopher Beecher told 22News some products, like linseed oil, generate heat; “Because of that, they can spontaneous combust. They’ll start to smoke and then eventually they can create a fire overtime. Your best bet is if you have a metal container to put them.”
Lt. Beecher recommends specifically using a metal ash container, which is designed to prevent fires.
A fire in Easthampton two years ago, started because combustible materials were stored under the kitchen sink.
- Cooking oil
- Cologne and perfume
- Oil-based paint
- Nail polish and polish remover
- Hair sprays and other hair products containing alcohol
- Certain cleaners containing pine oil
- Hand sanitizers containing ethyl alcohol
- Spray lubricants
- Paint thinners and primers
- Many carpet cleaners
- Body washes containing alcohol
- Dry-cleaning spotters and solvents for home use
- Deck sealers and waterproofing
- Lighter fluid
- Charcoal starter fluid
- Some pesticides