(WWLP) – Most local police departments, as well as state and federal law enforcement agencies, issue a service pistol to their uniformed officers when they join the force. Many of these agencies also have other tactical weapons for use by their SWAT teams.
Some departments have regulations on how officers must secure and store their guns when off-duty. Despite these policy efforts, hundreds of police weapons go missing every year.
The 22News I-Team has obtained records on missing police weapons in western Massachusetts.
What are the protocols and punishments when a law enforcement weapon is reported missing? Find out in our report on POLICE LOST AND STOLEN FIREARMS, Thursday, November 21 on 22News at 6 p.m.
- Live look at West Springfield road conditions in 22News Storm Team Weather Tracker
- 10+ residents without home after apartment fire in Holyoke
- What You’re Saying: Sweethearts are back
- Snowfall reports across western Massachusetts
- Hundreds attend inaugural ball of Chicopee Mayor John Vieau