(WWLP) – Most local police departments, as well as state and federal law enforcement agencies, issue a service pistol to their uniformed officers when they join the force. Many of these agencies also have other tactical weapons for use by their SWAT teams.
Some departments have regulations on how officers must secure and store their guns when off-duty. Despite these policy efforts, hundreds of police weapons go missing every year.
The 22News I-Team has obtained records on missing police weapons in western Massachusetts.
What are the protocols and punishments when a law enforcement weapon is reported missing? Find out in our report on POLICE LOST AND STOLEN FIREARMS, Thursday, November 21 on 22News at 6 p.m.
- Two men taken to hospital following serious crash on Armory St. in Springfield
- Holland Police warning residents to lock cars
- Westfield Police Dept. and Ring team up to ensure residents safety
- Alert Ambulance of Chicopee donate to 22News Toys for Tots
- Morgan-Sullivan Bridge to remain closed through Monday morning