DA: Couple found dead in tent in Greenfield during January died of carbon monoxide poisoning

Franklin County

GREENFIELD, Mass. (WWLP) – The cause of death for two people who died in a tent in the woods in Greenfield in late January has been released. 

Northwestern DA Spokesperson Mary Carey confirmed for 22News that 51-year-old Clayton Wheeler and 50-year-old Kathleen Grady died of carbon monoxide poisoning.

The pair was found in a tent on the Mohawk Trail on January 21 after a night of single-digit temperatures. The Greenfield Recorder reported the couple was using a space heater to keep warm.

Related: 

Find 22News on TwitterFacebook, and Instagram; send your news tips to reportit@wwlp.com.

Copyright 2020 Nexstar Inc. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed.

Only on WWLP.com | Digital First

More Digital First

State Police Overtime Scandal

More State Police Overtime Investigation

Trending Stories

Donate Today

WWLP Contests & Sweepstakes

Contests & Sweepstakes