GREENFIELD, Mass. (WWLP) – In a close three-way race, Greenfield residents elected former planning board chair Roxann Wedegartner as their next mayor.
With all precincts reporting, Wedegartner emerged the top vote-getter, with 38% of the vote. City Councilor Sheila Gilmour finished close behind with 34%, and City Councilor Brickett Allis, who ran a write-in campaign, finished third with 28%. Voter turnout in the city was strong for a municipal election. By late Tuesday afternoon, it was at 32.2% of registered voters.
The mayor’s seat was open this year, as incumbent Mayor William Martin decided not to run for re-election.
Wedegartner will become only the third person in Greenfield’s history to hold the office of mayor.
22News had all three candidates in the studio last month for a debate. You can watch the full video here:
- Northampton receives $10K grant to redesign, adjust to Covid-19 safety practices
- Food distribution event for veterans at Greenfield Community College in June
- Protesters enter Minneapolis police station, set fires
- Local runners express disappointment over Boston Marathon cancellation
- West Springfield Police investigating crash on River Street, several roads closed