GREENFIELD, Mass. (WWLP) – In a close three-way race, Greenfield residents elected former planning board chair Roxann Wedegartner as their next mayor.
With all precincts reporting, Wedegartner emerged the top vote-getter, with 38% of the vote. City Councilor Sheila Gilmour finished close behind with 34%, and City Councilor Brickett Allis, who ran a write-in campaign, finished third with 28%. Voter turnout in the city was strong for a municipal election. By late Tuesday afternoon, it was at 32.2% of registered voters.
The mayor’s seat was open this year, as incumbent Mayor William Martin decided not to run for re-election.
Wedegartner will become only the third person in Greenfield’s history to hold the office of mayor.
22News had all three candidates in the studio last month for a debate. You can watch the full video here:
- Stafford Motor Speedway releases 2020 Schedule
- 7 employees fired after brawl at Popeyes
- The Latest: Deval Patrick says he wants to be everyone’s president
- ‘It was pretty terrifying’: Hero officers rescue unconscious woman from burning car
- Fitness program helps local agency increase Autism awareness