One resident, three firefighters injured in Orange house fire

Franklin County
orange fire 4_1548092392281.jpeg.jpg

One resident and three firefighters were injured in an overnight house fire in Orange.

State Fire Marshal spokeswoman Jennifer Mieth told 22News the cause of the fire at 60 North Main Street was caused by adding a combustible liquid to a wood stove.

Mieth confirmed for 22News that one resident was taken to a Boston hospital for injuries. There is no word on the severity of his/her injuries. The three firefighters who were hurt suffered minor injuries, according to Mieth.

Mieth said the single family home is a total loss. 

“The conditions were very tough for firefighters,” Orange Fire Chief James Young said. “Sub-zero temperatures led to dangerous icy conditions and several firefighters fell on the ice. We wish everyone a speedy recovery.”

The DPW spent the morning treating the road around the house, but firefighters expect the area to remain icy for at least the rest of the day.

“It’s important to know how to use a wood stove safely and one important point is never to add a flammable or combustible liquid to a woodstove,” State Fire Marshal Peter Ostroskey said. “They are not designed to hold the rapid expansion of the vapors.”

Additionally, firefighters said there will continue to be visible steam from the site of the fire, and that they will continue to check on the location periodically. The department is advising residents to only call 911 if they see flames visible near the site.

Copyright 2021 Nexstar Inc. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed.

Only on | Digital First

More Digital First

State Police Overtime Scandal

More State Police Overtime Investigation

Trending Stories

22News Traffic Trackers

Donate Today