ORANGE, Mass. (WWLP) – The driver of the truck has passed away after a rollover accident near Exit 14 on Route 2 in Orange late Friday night.
According to State Police spokesman David Procopio, the tanker carrying compressed gas rolled over while exiting Route 2 off-ramp on Exit 14.
The driver’s identity is not being released at this time.
The tanker truck is still in an overturn position off the side of the roadway. Procopio said officials are attempting to offload the remaining gas into another trailer.
The Orange Police Department has begun the process of offloading the remaining gas which is expected to be a long process due to the amount of gas leaked.
Traffic on West River Street is closed at Briggs Street westbound. Cars that are heading onto Route 2 are advised to use the detour to West Main Street Route 2A in the center of Orange.
Several residences near the crash have been evacuated and a safe zone has been established half a mile away.
Areas surrounding the rollover crash were evacuated as a precaution because methane is highly flammable.
- Northampton protesters hold Black Lives Matter rally on Fourth of July
- WATCH LIVE: Fourth of July fireworks across the Las Vegas skies
- For nation’s birthday, Trump slams the enemies within
- Waterbury Christopher Columbus statue vandalized, beheaded
- Bruno the Bear makes it to Missouri on interstate trek