NORTHFIELD, Mass. (WWLP) – The Northfield Fire Department were called to a structure fire on Route 142 in Northfield Friday afternoon.

According to the Northfield Fire Department, the fire took place in a section of town without hydro protection, and furthermore multiple tankers were used to bring water to the scene of the fire.

Route 142 was opened after the fire had been extinguished. Northfield Fire Department told 22News that the fire started around the wood stove in the basement. Smoke detectors alerted the homeowner that a fire had taken place, and no injuries were reported, however the house is said to be at a total loss.

A man and a dog lost their home to the fire and are being aided by the Red Cross.