1 person found dead inside Brookline Avenue home in Agawam after police standoff

Hampden County

An hours long standoff that brought out multiple law enforcement agencies after shots were fired at a Brookline Avenue home Monday evening ended with one person dead.

Agawam Police Department Chief Eric Gillis confirmed during a news conference that Michael Kerr was found dead inside 74 Brookline Avenue with a self-inflicted gunshot wound.

No one else was hurt.

Chief Gillis said reports of explosions at the Brookline Avenue home came in around 5:25 p.m., but police later discovered that it was gunshots.

According to Agawam Police Officer Edward McGovern, Kerr shot approximately 20 rounds of ammunition both in and out of his home for the first hour of the standoff. At least one round of ammunition hit a neighboring house.

State Police were called in to assist Agawam police, as well as members of the STOP team, SWAT team, bomb squad and crisis negotiators.

Authorities evacuated residents in the Brookline Avenue and Belvidere Street area. Surrounding businesses were also evacuated, and the road was blocked off.

“I was driving home from work and I saw the commotion, I figured small town like Agawam, I wanted to know what was going on so I pulled over,” said Matt Cavallo, a Feeding Hills resident. “You’ve got officers in their SWAT gear, State Police everywhere.”

Law enforcements tried to communicate with Kerr inside the home on Brookline Avenue. Chief Gillis said about multiple calls phone calls were made to Kerr, none of which were answered. They even asked him to open the front door over a loudspeaker.

“After hours of loud hailing and trying to contact the individual by cell phone, the last count that I got from State Police negotiators was that 40 phone calls were made to the individual that went unanswered,” said Gillis.

This incident brought out the town’s mayor, William Sapelli.

“We had calls from some residents that they heard an explosion,” Sapelli told 22News. “So the police responded, and when they arrived they found a resident was shooting off a firearm. Fortunately nobody was hit.”

Sapelli added police sent a robot into the home, and used tear gas inside the home.

McGovern said the STOP team was able to get into Kerr’s home around 11:30 p.m. where they found him dead.

Brookline Avenue and Belvidere Street residents were allowed inside their homes after authorities took over the situation after midnight Tuesday.

The State police detective, ballistics, and crime scene services are investigating what caused Kerr to start shooting his gun Monday.

Police have not yet told reporters how many weapons Kerr had inside his home.

Copyright 2020 Nexstar Broadcasting, Inc. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed.

Only on WWLP.com | Digital First

More Digital First

State Police Overtime Scandal

More State Police Overtime Investigation

Trending Stories

Donate Today