One person was taken to the hospital and three others were evaluated on site after a chemical spill at the U.S. Postal Service’s bulk mail center in Springfield early Friday morning.
Dennis Leger, aide to the Springfield Fire Commissioner, told 22News that firefighters were called to the center at 190 Fiberloid Street in Indian Orchard shortly before 12:30 a.m., Leger says that about one gallon of oxalis acid, an industrial cleaner, had been spilled.
Just before 1:00 a.m., the Department of Fire Service’s Hazardous Materials Team was called in to help clean things up. Crews remained there working until about 6:00 a.m.
Oxalic acid can cause respiratory problems for people who are exposed to it.
*The Springfield Fire Department initially reported that all four people were taken to the hospital. This story has been corrected with updated information from the United States Postal Service.