Two dogs were found left inside hot cars in Southwick Thursday.
According to Southwick police, an officer on his routine patrol Thursday morning drove through a parking lot on College Highway, where he saw a dog panting inside a car with its window partially down.
The temperature outside was 81 degrees at the time, but according to the officer’s thermometer, it was 112 degrees inside the car.
“Another 5 to 10 minutes and this little dog most likely would have succumbed to the high temperatures rendering him unconscious,” police said.
The same officer returned to the parking lot later Thursday afternoon, and saw another dog inside a parked car “struggling for air.”
Southwick police said now that the weather is getting warmer, it is best to leave your pets at home.
Greenfield police posted a similar reminder on their Facebook page Thursday afternoon, saying they’ve received numerous reports of dogs being left in hot cars over the last couple of days.
“We will do everything we can to avoid, but we will, if warranted, break your window to rescue an overheated pet. JUST DON’T DO IT!.”
22News left a message with Southwick police for more information about whether any charges or citations were issued.