3 people taken to hospital after being exposed to toxic fumes at Dunkin’ in Southwick

Hampden County

SOUTHWICK, Mass. (WWLP) – Three people were taken to the hospital after being exposed to toxic gas at the Dunkin’ on College Highway in Southwick Thursday.

According to Department of Fire Services spokeswoman Jennifer Mieth, an employee mixed chemicals in a drain. One of the chemicals was Drano, and the other is unknown at this time.

The three people who were taken to the hospital had difficulty breathing, Mieth added. Their current condition is unknown.

“What often happens, and happened in the fatal Buffalo Wings restaurant in Burlington late last year was mixing bleach and ammonia based products,” she explained. “Creates a toxic gas.”

Here is information from the U.S. Fire Administration on chemical safety.

Copyright 2021 Nexstar Inc. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed.

Only on WWLP.com | Digital First

More Digital First

State Police Overtime Scandal

More State Police Overtime Investigation

Trending Stories

Donate Today