SPRINGFIELD, Mass. (WWLP) – Students and staff at the Balliet Elementary School in Springfield were asked to evacuate the building Thursday morning for a fire.

According to Springfield Fire Captain Drew Piemonte, crews put out a fire in a coil heating appliance used to warm up coffee after the appliance had malfunctioned. Classes were in session at the time, students and staff were evacuated from the building for safety.

Azell Cavaan of the Springfield Public Schools told 22News, students were taken by bus to another school, due to the smoke in the building. They will be going home at their regular time on their regular buses, or will be able to walk home from the Balliet School.

The Balliet Elementary School on Rosewell Street will be closed Friday. No other school in the district will be closed including the Balliet Middle School on Seymour Ave.

Piemonte said the fire was confined to the appliance only. No injuries were reported.