HOLYOKE, Mass. (WWLP) – While many people may choose to shop online for this year’s Black Friday due to the COVID-19 pandemic, others went the traditional route and showed up early to shop at stores.
Some things still remained the same this year, shoppers waking up early to get their hands on store deals first.
“I was up all night, sleep’s for the weak,” said Kevin Reynolds, a Black Friday shopper. “I’m here to get a go pro so I can video my snowmobile trips this winter.”
Best Buy was one of the first stores to open at the Holyoke Mall at 5:00 a.m. The mall itself opened at 6 a.m. but lines weren’t as long as they were in previous years which shoppers said they loved but also blamed the pandemic for it.
What’s interesting this year is that many of the stores have been doing Black Friday deals all week long and many shoppers are wondering if deals on Friday are going to be even bigger than they were this week.
“I’m here today to go shopping, everything here is on sale,” said Garfield Weston. His friends, Josh Rodriguez, who was hoping to get the new Xbox, and Von Sherman, who was hoping to get the new Playstation, gave up after seeing the lines.
The mall will be open until 9:30 p.m. Friday and will open at 9 a.m. on Saturday until 9:30 p.m. and on Sunday from 11:00 a.m. until 6:00 p.m.
Signs were placed all over the Holyoke Mall to keep foot traffic flowing in the same direction, reducing the amount of distance from each shopper.
Guests should follow the following COVID-19 precautions being implemented by the Holyoke Mall in order to help keep everyone safe:
- Face masks or coverings must be worn by everyone and must cover both the mouth and nose
- Face masks must be worn both inside and outside of the property
- Don’t touch your nose, mouth, or eyes
- Keep a minimum of six feet from other people
- Stay to the right and follow the one-way traffic arrows throughout the property
- Wash your hands with soap and warm water frequently and for at least 20 seconds
- Use hand sanitizer stations located throughout the property.
- Avoid standing in lines and keep a safe distance from other people
- Avoid touching products you do not intend to purchase
- Do not enter the building if you have, or recently have had, symptoms associated with COVID-19
Guests are reminded to check individual store hours, as well as a list of Black Friday sales, by visiting their website.
Hampshire Mall opened its doors at 7:00 a.m. Friday morning and will be open until 9:00 p.m. Tomorrow, the mall will be open from 9 a.m. to 9 p.m. and on Sunday from 11:00 a.m. until 6:00 p.m.
The Hampshire Mall says they’re is taking necessary steps to ensure the safety of guests and employees this holiday shopping season by following CDC and state guidelines. Masks and social distancing will continue to be required to enter stores.