Brimfield firefighters were called to a home on Champeaux Road for reports of a fire Saturday morning.
According to the Brimfield Fire Department, when crews arrived they found no visible fire but instead a “severely malfunctioning furnace” that caused heavy smoke to be seen coming from the home.
Both Brimfield Fire and Brimfield EMS were called in to assist as well as mutual aid from Sturbridge, Warren, Wales, Monson, Holland and Palmer.
Crews ventilated the building and shut off power to the furnace pending repairs.
Luckily, no one was injured and no one was home at the time of the incident.