Central High appoints first African American woman JROTC Commander

Hampden County

SPRINGFIELD, Mass. (WWLP) – Camryn Kynard a Senior at Central High School has been appointed Springfield Central High School’s first female African American Commander of the Jr Air Force ROTC.

A change of command ceremony was held Wednesday morning for Kynard, a senior, where she lead nearly 400 JROTC cadets at the high school.

“It’s a big job but I wouldn’t want it any other way. I’m excited for the challenge coming into graduation in June and I’m glad I can finish my high school career saying I have this position and show the cadets and other people that it’s still possible to make history even in 2020.”

-Camryn Kynard – Central High School senior

Only 5% of students in the program choose to go on to the military… according to Major William Keida, the other 95% including Camryn are college-bound students.

“That’s all we’re really doing is getting these kids ready for life, getting these kids ready to graduate from high school, moving on. We’re not a recruiter, we don’t get these kids into the military just showing leadership and job skills that they can use out in the rule.”

– Major William Keida

Another Springfield first, very proud of Camryn and our JROTC Program – great students and great leaders!

Springfield Mayor Mayor Domenic Sarno

Once she graduates Kynard looks to pursue a career in education.

Copyright 2020 Nexstar Broadcasting, Inc. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed.

Only on WWLP.com | Digital First

More Digital First
LIVE NOW /
22News Morning Newscast

Trending Stories