Chicopee native Lauren Meizo is finally back home after months in a Boston hospital where she was waiting for a donor heart and kidney.
Meizo arrived home accompanied by a Chicopee and State Police escort. She was welcomed by family and friends waiting for her with signs and balloons.
Meizo received a heart and kidney transplant in May, after waiting in the hospital since January. It was her second heart transplant.
Meizo told 22News she returned home nearly a year to the day after she was placed on life support.
“A year ago actually I was on life support, a year ago yesterday I was put on it, so I never thought I would go full circle end up life support to transplant, to now home recovering with two beautiful new organs,” Meizo said.
Meizo said she is still recovering and will have to undergo physical and occupational therapy over the coming months.
- Chicopee’s Lauren Meizo to receive heart, kidney transplants
- Chicopee gas station raising money for Lauren Meizo and her family
- Photos: Lauren Meizo meets Rob Gronkowski
- Chicopee’s Lauren Meizo scheduled to receive new heart and kidney
- Heart transplant patient in good spirits following surprise visit