CHICOPEE, Mass. (WWLP) – A Chicopee woman has died as a result of her injuries from a fire on Meadowlark Lane Friday night.
Department of Fire Services spokesperson Jennifer Mieth told 22News the woman was resuscitated by Chicopee firefighters and taken to a local hospital following the fire at the Doverbrook Estates condominium complex.
She was later transferred to a Boston hospital, where she died.
Mieth said the fire was caused by improper disposal of smoking materials.
“Firefighters had great difficulty in effecting the rescue due to the excessive clutter in the apartment,” Mieth said.
The investigation into the fire also revealed that there were no working smoke alarms inside the apartment. The 4-unit condo also did not have fire sprinklers, as they were not required when the building was built.