Coal stove identified as cause of deadly carbon monoxide leak in Wales

Hampden County

WALES, Mass. (WWLP) – The State Fire Marshal has announced that a coal stove caused the deadly carbon monoxide leak at a home in Wales on Wednesday.

Department of Fire Services spokesperson Jennifer Mieth told 22News a man was working on the coal stove while it was running at the time of the incident. 

Mieth said the man’s wife called 911 to report that people were feeling sick, and before the dispatcher could advise her to get out of the home, she lost consciousness. When emergency crews got to the home on Brows Beach Road, Mieth said the couple and their pet were found unconscious. 

The husband died as a result of the carbon monoxide poisoning. The woman was taken to the hospital for treatment. There is no update on her condition.

Wales Fire Chief John Croke said a carbon monoxide alarm was found on the kitchen counter without batteries.

 “On behalf of the Wales Fire Department I offer heartfelt condolences to the family,”  Croke said. “I want to ask everyone who lives in Wales to make sure they have working carbon monoxide AND smoke alarms before going to sleep tonight.”

Copyright 2020 Nexstar Inc. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed.

Only on | Digital First

More Digital First

State Police Overtime Scandal

More State Police Overtime Investigation

Trending Stories

Donate Today

WWLP Contests & Sweepstakes

Contests & Sweepstakes