Fire at retail facility in Springfield caused by overheated dryer

Hampden County

SPRINGFIELD, Mass. (WWLP) – Heavy smoke inside an industrial retail and laundry facility brought several firefighters to the Main Street area of Springfield Tuesday night. 

According to the Springfield Fire Department, crews were called to 56 Main Street shortly after 9 p.m., for a report of heavy smoke coming from the rear of the building. Service Matters is located at that address. 

Crews from the White Street firehouse were able to gain access to the building and extinguish the fire in a large industrial dryer. They kept it from spreading to the rest of the building. 

No injuries were reported, according to the fire department. The fire caused about $10,000 in damages.

The Springfield Arson and Bomb Squad determined the cause to be an overheated industrial dryer that caught linen on fire inside the dryer. 

Copyright 2020 Nexstar Broadcasting, Inc. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed.

Only on | Digital First

More Digital First

State Police Overtime Scandal

More State Police Overtime Investigation

Trending Stories

Donate Today