HOLYOKE, Mass. (WWLP) – The Holyoke Fire Department is praising the carbon monoxide alarms in a Holyoke home that they said saved the lives of the occupants.

The Holyoke Fire Department was called to the building after an activation of a carbon monoxide detector around 1:30 a.m. When crews arrived, they found a high level of carbon monoxide.

Using a thermal imaging camera, they then found a fire in the ceiling. No smoke or fire was visible when crews arrived.

“Had it not been for the activation of the CO detector the fire would have been able to develop much further and this incident may very well have ended in tragedy,” said the Holyoke Fire Department on their social media.

The fire department also said this incident was an example of how carbon monoxide detectors save lives.

The cause of the fire is still being investigated by the Holyoke Fire Department and Massachusetts State Police. Holyoke Police, EMS, and Holyoke Gas & Electric assisted in the incident. No one was injured during the fire.