Fire at Granville home caused by electrical malfunction

Hampden County

GRANVILLE, Mass. (WWLP) – The fire that took out the second floor of a Granville home on 15 Granby Road Wednesday morning was caused by an electrical malfunction.

Granville Fire Chief Matthew Ripley and State Fire Marshal Peter Ostroskey the fire started in the second-floor bedroom where a laptop, cell phone, and lamp were plugged into a power strip. The exact electrical malfunction could not be identified due to extensive damage to the wiring.

Granville Fire Department Chief Matt Ripley told 22News, two adults and two children were able to exit the home safely and no injuries were reported. The fire did not extend to any other homes in the area.

According to the Granville Fire Department, crews found heavy flames coming from three windows on the second floor of the house around 7:00 a.m.

When our 22News crew arrived at the area, they saw crews cleaning up the fire and damage to the side of the house.

Ripley said the second floor of the house is a total loss, but the first floor was saved.

The Department of Fire Services said there were 749 structure fires caused by electrical problems in Massachusetts in 2018 causing five civilian deaths, 22 civilian injuries, and 101 fire service injuries.

Copyright 2020 Nexstar Inc. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed.

Only on WWLP.com | Digital First

More Digital First

State Police Overtime Scandal

More State Police Overtime Investigation

Trending Stories

Donate Today

WWLP Contests & Sweepstakes

Contests & Sweepstakes