PALMER, Mass. (WWLP) – The cause of the house fire on High Street in Palmer has been determined after one dog was found dead and one cat was rescued from the home.

According to the Palmer Fire Department, when crews arrived, there was a large amount of fire on the first floor of the home, and the fire had started to move toward the second floor.

When additional crews arrived, they conducted a search of the house. Firefighters were able to rescue one cat from the second floor, but one dog was found dead on the first floor.

No injuries were reported, and no one was home at the time of the fire. The cause of the fire was determined to be an improper disposal of smoking materials. The American Red Cross was called to help assist the tenants of the home.

Addition crews were brought in from Three Rivers, Bondsville, Wilbraham, Ware, Warren, Brimfield, and Monson.

Local News

WWLP-22News, an NBC affiliate, began broadcasting in March 1953 providing local news, network, syndicated, and local programming to western Massachusetts. Follow 22News on Facebook, Twitter, and Instagram.