Crews worked to put out garage fire on Pembroke St. in Springfield

Hampden County

SPRINGFIELD, Mass. (WWLP) – Springfield fire crews worked to put out a structure fire caused by cooking Sunday afternoon.

According to Springfield Fire Commissioner BJ Calvi, the fire was located in the area of 67 Pembroke Street around noon Sunday. Crews said the residents were attempting to roast a pig when the garage caught fire from the cooking.

The Springfield Arson and Bomb Squad determined the cause of the fire to be a grill found close to the garage.

Commissioner Calvi told 22News, no injuries were reported but the flames caused significant damage to the garage. He wants to remind residents about the dangers of cooking outside during hot and humid weather.

“Everybody needs to be careful, it’s very dry out. Even though there’s been some rain, we’ve been in a drought condition which means everything is very dry. So you need to be careful barbecuing anything these days,” Calvi warned.

The Department of Fire Services says grills must be at least 10 feet from the side of a building to prevent a potential fire unless the manufacturer instructions say otherwise.

MAP: Pembroke Street

Copyright 2020 Nexstar Broadcasting, Inc. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed.

Only on WWLP.com | Digital First

More Digital First

State Police Overtime Scandal

More State Police Overtime Investigation

Trending Stories

Donate Today