An elderly woman is in the hospital after she was injured in a Ludlow fire Tuesday night.
According to spokesperson for the State Fire Marshal’s Office Jennifer Mieth, police were called to 459-461 Moore Street for a report of an elderly woman who had fallen while cooking and needed help getting up.
Mieth said at 5:51 p.m. when firefighters and an ambulance got to the home they found the residence filled with smoke.
While firefighters were trying to get into the home, a neighbor who shared the residence was able to get into the house through a different door and get the woman out.
Just after the woman was removed from the home, the fire spread throughout the wood-frame house. Mieth said the fire severely damaged the residence.
Fire trucks from Belchertown, Bondsville, Granby, and Westover all helped put out the fire as there are no hydrants in the area.
Mieth said while officials are still looking into the cause, cooking is most likely what started the fire.
The extent of the woman’s injuries are unknown.