Extension cord caused electrical fire in Holyoke apartment

Hampden County

Holyoke firefighters are reminding residents of the dangers of plugging certain appliances into extension cords after they put out a fire on Monday evening.

According to Holyoke Fire Captain Kevin Cavagnac, firefighters were called to 151 Sargeant Street around 6 p.m. for a report of smoke in the building. 

Cavagnac said when firefighters got there they found a third-floor apartment full of smoke and put out a small bedroom fire. 

No injuries were reported and the cause of the fire was found to be electrical.

Residents are reminded to plug appliances such as air conditioners or space heaters directly into a wall outlet.

Cavagnac said plugging those appliances into power strips and extension cords causes rapid heat development due to excessive resistance in the cord.

Copyright 2020 Nexstar Broadcasting, Inc. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed.

Only on WWLP.com | Digital First

More Digital First

State Police Overtime Scandal

More State Police Overtime Investigation

Trending Stories