AGAWAM, Mass. (WWLP) – The fire that has been burning on Bondi’s Island since last week has been fully extinguished.
Fire departments from around the area have been working to put on the fire since Thursday. It was announced Monday morning that the fire is completely out.
Agawam Fire Chief Alan Sirois said the primary cause is spontaneous heating of the compost pile with contributing wind conditions. The fire started on Bondi’s Island had been burning since Thursday.
The landfill remains closed for residential drop-off until at least Wednesday as crews continue to make sure the fire doesn’t reignite. Lack of water supply was a major factor for getting the fire extinguished and officials say they are working to make sure this doesn’t happen again.
“We’re working with site operators to make sure there is adequate water supply at the top of this establishment and adequate equipment for local operators to contain anything that may start up small or anything they may find when they are operating,” said Chief Alan Sirois of the Agawam Fire Department.
Nearly 100 firefighters were at the landfill when the fire first began last week, with dozens of apparatuses from communities from across the Commonwealth.
All the fire departments involved have gone back to normal operations.