SPRINGFIELD, Mass. (WWLP) – Governor Baker attended a ribbon cutting ceremony for the newly renovated Springfield Prep Charter School Thursday.
Governor Charlie Baker joined Lieutenant Governor Karyn Polito, faculty, and students for a ceremony for the $20.4 million renovated school located at 2071 Roosevelt Avenue in Springfield at 12:15.
“We’ve never had a gym like this for physical activity, for performances, for community gatherings. So with bigger classrooms, for our two teacher model, with a gym like this and playground spaces, it’s just a phenomenal home for us,” said Bill Spirer, Executive Director of Springfield Prep Charter School.
The event held in the school’s gym with speakers that included the following:
- Governor Charlie Baker
- Lieutenant Governor Karyn Polito
- John Davis, Trustee, The Irene E. and George C. Davis Foundation
- City Councilor Michael Fenton
- Springfield Prep Founder and Executive Director, Bill Spirer
- Springfield Prep Assistant Principal Shawna Mitchell
- Springfield Prep Founding Student Cyrine Fioklou, 7th Grade Student
Springfield Prep Charter School is a 50,000 square foot public school for nearly 500 students in Kindergarten through 7th grade. The school includes classrooms designed for its unique two-teacher model, breakout rooms for small group instruction, a full gymnasium with a stage for performances, and dedicated science, art, and dance rooms.