Fire officials have determined the cause of a barn fire on Russellville Road that killed four young calves Monday evening.
According to Westfield Fire Chief Patrick Egloff and State Fire Marshal Peter Ostroskey, the barn fire at Pomeroy Farm was caused by a heat lamp.
Investigators determined that “a heat lamp, used to keep newborn calves warm, fell and ignited nearby combustibles such as a bedding or hay.”
The fire destroyed the barn causing about $350,000 in damages.
It took firefighters about two hours to put out the barn fire, which affected traffic on Russellville Road.