Holiday safety: How to keep your Christmas tree from becoming a fire hazard

Hampden County

The lights on the Christmas tree may look beautiful, but Springfield Fire Commissioner BJ Calvi told 22News, they could be a potential fire hazard. 

“If it was to catch fire, they burn like gasoline,” Calvi said. “They burn very quickly.”

Commissioner Calvi said it’s best to keep your trees, whether real or fake, away from any heat sources, like candles and fireplaces. You should also remember to turn off all the holiday lights, both on the tree and anywhere else in your home, before you head out the door or go to sleep. 

“The problem now is if the cord were to short out, or people using excessive extension cords to power their Christmas lights,” added Calvi. “Running them behind couches, under rugs, it puts a tax on the extension cord and that could create a fire.”

Although Christmas is still two weeks away, once the needles start to fall off the tree it’s time to get rid of it because that means it’s too dry. 

“It’s just asking for a fire at that point,” said Calvi. 

According to the National Fire Protection Association, a dry tree burns faster than newspaper.  Watering your tree daily can help prevent it from getting too dry too quick. 

Copyright 2021 Nexstar Inc. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed.

Only on WWLP.com | Digital First

More Digital First

State Police Overtime Scandal

More State Police Overtime Investigation

Trending Stories

Donate Today