HOLYOKE, Mass. (WWLP) – A Holyoke father is in police custody after his young son allegedly brought heroin to school Thursday morning.
According to Lieutenant James Albert of the Holyoke Police Department, officers were called to the Lawrence School after 29-year-old Benny Garcia’s son brought a packet containing white powder to the school and told his teacher “he puts it in his mouth.” Garcia’s son is only 5-years-old.
Lt. Albert said the white powder, suspected to be cocaine or heroin, had “Spiderman” stamped on the packet. The boy told his teacher it turns him into Spiderman when he eats it. The teacher notified the principal, who alerted authorities.
The boy was treated at the hospital and is expected to be okay.
Garcia was arrested on Thursday after police visited his apartment on Essex Street in Holyoke. His arrest is in connection with the drug his son took to school.
He was charged with several drug possession violations and is being held on a $5,000 bond. His arraignment has been scheduled for Friday morning.
The Department of Children and Family Services have been notified about this incident.
- Photo shows moment of solidarity between Nashville officer and protester
- Lego unveils Lamborghini model kit
- Photos: Protests continue to rock America
- US heads into a new week shaken by violence and pandemic
- Protests reducing COVID-19 testing, could be ‘giving the virus another head start’