HOLYOKE, Mass. (WWLP) – Crews worked to put out a house fire on Donlee Street in Holyoke Friday afternoon.

Crews arrived around 1:20 p.m. Friday afternoon, to a fully involved house fire, according to the Holyoke Fire Department. There were multiple calls that were reported to 911 dispatch about an individual that was trapped on the second floor. When crews arrived, they made an aggressive attack on the house to rescue any occupants. Holyoke Fire Department Captain, David Rex told 22News that they were able to evacuate one victim from the 2nd floor via a ladder.

The crews that reduced the victim had been overcome by the smoke that filled the house. This was a fatal fire and two firefighters were sent to the hospital for their injuries.

Massachusetts Department of Fire Services Jake Wark told 22News that the fire started on the left side of the gas range in the kitchen and grew from there.

“This is a sad time for the victim’s loved ones and our community,” said Chief Kadlewicz. “I want to offer the family our heartfelt condolences on behalf of the Holyoke Fire Department. Because many families may be sharing meals together this Easter weekend, I also want to remind everyone to stay safe in the kitchen. Stand by your pan when cooking on the stovetop, keep food packaging and other flammable items away from hot surfaces, and never try to move a burning pan or douse it with water. Instead, cover it with a lid or cookie sheet to smother the flames.”

“Cooking is the leading cause of fires at home in Massachusetts,” said State Fire Marshal Ostroskey. “More than 10,000 fires each year start with cooking, and the results can be devastating. Please use caution in the kitchen.”

22News is following this story and will update this article as soon as more information becomes available.