Improper disposal of smoking materials causes kitchen fire in Springfield

Hampden County

Smoke poured out of a building on Chestnut Street in Springfield early Sunday morning. 

Our 22News crew arrived at Malecon Bar and Restaurant just after 1:30 a.m.

According to the Springfield Fire Captain Brian Tetreault, the improper disposal of smoking materials caused a kitchen fire.

Firefighters had to break the door down to get to the fire. 

No injuries were reported.

The restaurant will need to be inspected, before it can reopen. 

Copyright 2020 Nexstar Inc. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed.

Only on WWLP.com | Digital First

More Digital First

State Police Overtime Scandal

More State Police Overtime Investigation

Trending Stories

Donate Today

WWLP Contests & Sweepstakes

Contests & Sweepstakes