SPRINGFIELD, Mass. (WWLP) – The fire suppression system at a gas station on Belmont Avenue accidentally activated, sending a man to the hospital Monday afternoon.
Springfield fire officials were called to the Cumberland Farms located at 514 Belmont Avenue, to find three vehicles at the gas pumps covered in foam after the fire suppression system accidentally released shortly before 2 p.m.
According to Springfield Fire Department spokesman, Dennis Leger, there was no fire. Firefighters were in the area as a precaution.
A man, identified as a Cumberland Farms truck driver, was unloading items at the time of the incident and was hurt. He was taken to an area hospital with unknown injuries.
Cumberland Farms sent 22News this statement:
The fire suppression system at the Cumberland Farms store at 514 Belmont Avenue in Springfield, Mass., malfunctioned this afternoon. Although the cause of the malfunction has yet to be determined, an investigation is underway and it has been confirmed that no fire took place. A Cumberland Farms employee was taken to the hospital as a precaution and has since been released. We are deeply sorry for the inconvenience this has caused to the community and to our customers.The store and gas pumps are expected to open around midnight.Danielle Datre, Cumberland Farms spokeswoman
The city’s Emergency Preparedness and Health Department were called to the gas station to inspect as crews cleaned up.