Man suffered burn in Springfield apartment fire

Hampden County

SPRINGFIELD, Mass. (WWLP) – A man was forced out of his apartment, following an early morning fire in the South End of Springfield.

Springfield Fire Capt. Brian Tetreault told 22News the fire started in the kitchen of a third-floor apartment at 38 Rutledge Avenue after 3:30 a.m.

Tetreault said the 49-year old resident of the apartment suffered a minor burn to his foot due to falling embers while trying to put out the flames himself before firefighters got there. The man refused medical treatment, however.

Firefighters were able to extinguish the fire quickly, and the residents of the first and second-floor apartments have been able to return home. The third-floor resident is currently being assisted by the Red Cross.

Tetreault says that the fire is believed to have been caused by an electrical malfunction.

Copyright 2019 Nexstar Broadcasting, Inc. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed.

State Police Overtime Scandal

More State Police Overtime Investigation

LIVE NOW /
Watch Mass Appeal at 11

Trending Stories

Toys for Tots

More Toys for Tots