Man threw gas can on fire into pool, Springfield fire officials say

Hampden County

SPRINGFIELD, Mass. (WWLP) – Fire crews were called to a home in Springfield’s East Forest Park neighborhood to help put out a pool fire late Monday afternoon. 

Springfield fire officials told 22News they were called to 85 Castle St., where they found a pool fire that required the use of firefighter’s foam to extinguish it shortly before 5 p.m. 

Fire Department spokesman Dennis Leger said a man was using gasoline to light a fire pit to burn yardsticks and leaves when the fire flashed and caught his gas can on fire.  

The man then threw the gas can into the pool with its content on fire, causing it to spread a liquid fire on the top of the water in a half-filled pool. 

No injuries are being reported at this time.

Find 22News on TwitterFacebook, and Instagram; send your news tips to

Copyright 2020 Nexstar Inc. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed.

Only on | Digital First

More Digital First

State Police Overtime Scandal

More State Police Overtime Investigation

Trending Stories

Donate Today

WWLP Contests & Sweepstakes

Contests & Sweepstakes