Monson house severely damaged in fire

Hampden County

A house in Monson was severely damaged after catching fire Saturday.

Monson firefighters were called to 96 Lakeshore Drive around noon for reports of flames coming out of a house.

Monson Fire Chief Laurent McDonald told 22News that no one was injured in the fire, but one of the homeowners did suffer from smoke inhalation after trying to save their pets.

Two dogs, two cats, and four birds died in the fire.

Chief McDonald said it took crews some time to reach the house because of its isolated location. “The fire had a significant amount of time to pre-burn before crews arrived and were able to get water on the fire,” said McDonald.

McDonald noted that crews were able to use water from a nearby lake, as well as portable water tankers to put out the flames.

The State Fire Marshal’s Office is looking into the cause of the fire. 

Chief McDonald would like to thank the Palmer Fire and Ambulance, Brimfield Fire, Wilbraham Fire, Bondsville Fire, Wales Fire, Ware Fire and Stafford Fire departments for their assistance. 

Copyright 2019 Nexstar Broadcasting, Inc. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed.

State Police Overtime Scandal

More State Police Overtime Investigation

Trending Stories

Love Your Pet

More Love Your Pet