FLORENCE, Mass. (WWLP) – Northampton has announced that streetscape work will be done in the Florence section of the city to make the area more accessible for walkers and bikers.
Florence is a village located in the northwestern portion of Northampton. Home to places like the Florence Diner and other shops and restaurants that make this part of the city appealing to visitors.
“I was just on a walk now to get coffee,” Claudia Patterson told 22News. “I think it’s great I grew up here, I was a kid here so I think it makes it more family-oriented, people outside more, biking more.”
The improvements are sponsored by the Office of Planning and Sustainability.
- A temporary bike path art installation
- A wayfinding program
- Bike racks
- Replace newspaper boxes
Streetscape projects currently out to bid
- Tree pits for shade trees
- Replace sidewalk wheelchair ramps to meet ADA standards
- New Main Street Crosswalk at South Main Street
- Replace certain Mainstreet sidewalk panels
- New bench and trash bin near Valley Medical