Officials: Neighbor helped rescue elderly woman from Ludlow house fire

Hampden County

Ludlow firefighters say a neighbor helped rescue a woman from a fire that destroyed her home Tuesday.

The fire in the duplex at 459-461 Moore Street in Ludlow began as a medical alert, not a fire call.

The emergency alert company told dispatchers that a woman fell while she was cooking and was unable to get up. But by the time the ambulance arrived, the house was on fire and firefighters were close behind.

“The police officer was responding to an ambulance call, and then he called in the fire, and there were so many fire trucks here,” said Russell Venne of Ludlow.

Ludlow Fire Chief Ryan Pease told 22News a neighbor heard smoke alarms and tried two different ways to get into the house to rescue the woman trapped inside. A neighbor who saw the fire said he couldn’t believe how fast it spread.

“They started knocking down the fire from the front, and then it was engulfing the whole back of the house,” said Venne.

Chief Pease said the man had to crawl to the victim and carry her to the back door. State Fire Marshal spokeswoman Jennifer Mieth said police and firefighters met the man at the back door and helped carry the victim to an ambulance just before the fire fully engulfed the home.

Chief Pease said if it weren’t for her neighbor, the woman might not have survived.

She was admitted to the hospital for unspecified injuries. The fire marshal’s office has not interviewed the woman yet but said cooking is the most likely cause of the fire.

Copyright 2020 Nexstar Broadcasting, Inc. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed.

Only on | Digital First

More Digital First

State Police Overtime Scandal

More State Police Overtime Investigation

Trending Stories

Donate Today