One dead, another hospitalized after carbon monoxide leak at Wales home

Hampden County

WALES, Mass. (WWLP) – One person is dead after a carbon monoxide leak at a home in Wales.

State Fire Marshal spokesperson Jennifer Mieth told 22News that another person was hospitalized due to the leak. 

There is still no word on what caused the deadly leak. Mieth told 22News, however, that heating is the number one cause of carbon monoxide presence in homes.

Springfield Fire Commissioner BJ Calvi said people need to be aware of CO poisoning when heating their homes this winter. He told 22News that a stove or gas oven should never be used to heat a house, generators need to be kept outside when they are running, and snow has to be removed from around hot water and heating system vents. 

“If those get clogged, the carbon monoxide won’t vent from your house,” said Calvi. 

Mieth added that part of the investigation will determine whether the home had working CO alarms. The detectors are required in every Massachusetts home.

“I believe we have three of them,” said Agawam homeowner Michael Semanie. “We change the battery every 6 months.”

Commissioner Calvi told 22News it’s best to change the batteries when you change your clocks. 

CO poisoning symptoms are described as flu-like by the C-D-C, including dizziness, upset stomach, and chest pain. If you experience these symptoms, open the windows, turn off whatever gas appliance is running, and leave your home. 

Related: 1 dead, another hospitalized after carbon monoxide exposure in Wales home

Copyright 2020 Nexstar Inc. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed.

Only on WWLP.com | Digital First

More Digital First

State Police Overtime Scandal

More State Police Overtime Investigation

Trending Stories

Donate Today

Contests and Sweepstakes