Palmer H.S. fire caused by improper disposal of linseed oil rags

Hampden County

The Palmer High School is closed for two days this week after a weekend fire damaged part of the building. 

Read More: Palmer High School closed Monday, Tuesday to assess fire damage

State Fire Marshal Spokesperson Jennifer Mieth told 22News, the cause of the fire was found to be improper disposal of linseed oil-soaked rags. 

Mieth said the rags were left in a maintenance shop where they spontaneously combusted and while the damage from the fire was minimal, smoke caused extensive damage to the school.

According to Home Depot, linseed oil is used to protect and seal woods. The oil also acts as a thinning agent for oil-based paints to improve the flow and gloss of the paint. 

Superintendent of Palmer Schools, Pat Gardner, announced the closure Saturday afternoon on the high school’s Facebook page

The school is taking Monday and Tuesday to assess the damage to the building and determine the next steps it will take. 

Gardner is expected to provide an update sometime Monday. 

Copyright 2020 Nexstar Broadcasting, Inc. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed.

Only on | Digital First

More Digital First

State Police Overtime Scandal

More State Police Overtime Investigation

Trending Stories

Donate Today