SPRINGFIELD, Mass (WWLP) – A barrel that fell off a truck and spilled adhesive onto the highway caused traffic backup on I-291 in Springfield Friday afternoon.
Springfield Arson and Bomb Squad Commander Brian Tetreault told 22News they were called to the eastbound section of I-291 between Exits 4 and 5A after a delivery truck lost part of its load while traveling around 2:43 p.m.
The load contained five-gallon jugs of roofing adhesive.
Capt. Tetreault said several jugs fell off the truck and ended up breaking and spilling onto the roadway. In total, 30 gallons of the adhesive spilled. Not all of the jugs broke.
Firefighters applied dry absorbent material to the adhesive and were able to control it and clear the roadway.
No injuries were reported and there was no danger to the public.
Traffic has since returned to normal. The state Department of Environmental Protection assisted with the situation.
- California mayor calls Mexican sewage from Imperial Beach ‘international tragedy’
- Lawyer champions migrant rights in a divided America
- Despite border wall, families in two countries unite in Friendship Park
- Twitter estimates for #StormArea51 on the mark
- Biden, Warren face same challenge in Iowa: keeping momentum