Residents evacuated after reports of high CO levels inside Springfield apartment

Hampden County

An apartment building in the Indian Orchard section of the city was evacuated after reports of high CO levels inside the building Wednesday night. 

Springfield Fire Department spokesman Dennis Leger told 22News crews were called to 32 Oak Street around 8:30 p.m. after carbon monoxide alarms inside the building went off.

When firefighters arrived, they immediately evacuated all six apartments inside the building. Those evacuated residents are currently without a home because there is no heat.

Leger told 22News a faulty heating system was the source of carbon monoxide. Gas service has been shut off and there’s no heat in the building.

Baystate Gas Crews will assess the problem and make repairs.

Some residents told 22News they plan to stay at their apartment, even though there’s no heat.

No one was injured.

Copyright 2020 Nexstar Broadcasting, Inc. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed.

Only on | Digital First

More Digital First

State Police Overtime Scandal

More State Police Overtime Investigation
Watch 22News at 10:00 p.m. on The CW Springfield

Trending Stories