Residents of 6 apartments in Springfield relocated after gas leak

Hampden County
SFD photo_1528538981543.jpg.jpg

The residents of six apartments in Springfield were relocated after a utilities room fire led to the discovery of a gas leak Friday.

According to Springfield Fire Department Spokesperson Dennis Leger, firefighters were called to Edgewater Apartments at 274 Plainfield Street at 4:26 p.m.

Leger said when firefighters arrived police had put out the fire with an extinguisher, but the cause of the fire was determined to be arcing electrical wires on a hot water heater with flames fed by a leaking natural gas supply hose. 

Six apartments were affected by the leak, and were relocated by Edgewater. 

Copyright 2020 Nexstar Inc. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed.

Only on | Digital First

More Digital First

State Police Overtime Scandal

More State Police Overtime Investigation

Trending Stories

Donate Today

WWLP Contests & Sweepstakes

Contests & Sweepstakes