Smoke detectors helped save lives in Monday’s fires

Hampden County
Springfield fire

More than a dozen people are without a home after two different fires in Springfield and Chicopee Monday.

One fire was at 49 Victoria Park in Chicopee where the family was able to make it out safely.

Chicopee Fire Prevention Captain Mark Galarneau said the fire was likely caused by improper disposal of pellet stove ashes.

Captain Galarneau said there were working smoke detectors in the Victoria Park home, alerting the residents early about the fire.

“Although the detectors are the responsibility of the landlord, you also have a responsibility to yourself to make sure yours are working,” Capt. Galarneau told 22News. “Don’t take the batteries out when they go off because you’re cooking and they become a nuisance.”

Galarneau said the fire was likely caused by improper disposal of pellet stove ashes.

Copyright 2019 Nexstar Broadcasting, Inc. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed.

State Police Overtime Scandal

More State Police Overtime Investigation

Trending Stories