SOUTHWICK, Mass. (WWLP) – A Southwick man was taken into custody Sunday night following a shooting and a search involving multiple police departments Sunday night.
Southwick Police Chief Kevin Bishop told 22News officers initially received a call about a possible suicide attempt by a 21-year-old man on Congamond Road just before 6:00 p.m. Officers later found out the man’s 19-year-old girlfriend had been shot in the foot during her attempt to take away his firearm.
Bishop said the man had left the home by the time officers got there. A search ensued with the help of Suffield and Massachusetts State Police, but he was not found.
The 19-year-old girlfriend was taken to the hospital for treatment and released. She later brought her boyfriend to the Southwick Police Department after a warrant was issued for his arrest. Bishop said he is now charged with possession of a firearm without a permit and discharging a firearm within 500 feet of a dwelling.
The man’s identity will not be released due to the nature of the original call to police.
Bishop told 22News the firearm has been recovered, and at no time was there a danger to the public.