SPRINGFIELD, Mass. (WWLP) – The Springfield Fire Department is mourning the loss of one of their own.
The Professional Fire Fighters of Massachusetts announced the line of duty death of Kevin Welz.
The union said he died from occupational cancer. He was 64 years old.
“Kevin will definitely be missed by his brothers and sisters on the SFD. Great person and a great firefighter.”Springfield Fire Department Arson & Bomb Squad Commander Captain Brian Tetreault
According to his obituary, Welz served as a Springfield firefighter for 32 years.
Calling hours will be held on Wednesday from 4 p.m. to 7 p.m. at Sampson’s Chapel of the Acres on Tinkham Road.
A funeral will be held Thursday morning at 10 a.m. at Sacred Heart Church on Chestnut Street in Springfield.
- No. 18 Virginia routs No. 12 Clemson 85-50 to stay perfect in ACC
- Miami stuns No. 16 Louisville 78-72
- Goodwin, Notre Dame hold off Boston College 80-70
- President-elect Biden announces picks for science team as security tightens ahead of inauguration
- Police arrest man trying to enter D.C. security checkpoint with loaded gun, fake inauguration credentials